Application to Higher Semesters for Internationals
if you have already successfully studied at another university, you can apply for a higher semester.
Open Admission Course of Study
The same application deadlines apply to an application for a higher semester in an open admission course of study as for an application to a first semester. The application process is also much the same:
- Create a PDF from the documents needed to apply.
- Fill out the online application. The link will be provided beginning December 6.
- Upload the required documents at the end of the application.
In addition to the docuennts needed to apply for a first semester, you must also include a placement notification from the examination board of the chosen course of study.
We recommend against applying for an higher semester in an open admission subject. Instead we recommend having individual courses from your previous studies recognized and accepted. This way the the duration of your permitted stay is not cut short.
Restricted Admission Course of Study
Some courses of study also have restricted admission in higher semesters, that is starting in the second core semester. Please refer to our courses of study or the current RWTH Information about Applying to a Higher Core Semester to find out which courses of study this pertains to.
Create a PDF from documents listed below and upload them to RWTHonline beginning December 4, 2017, by the application deadline listed in the table at the end of this page:
- Documents prooving you are eligible to study in Germany. These are typically school transcripts or school-leaving certificates, assessment tests, semesters already completed at a university at home, university acceptance examinations, and the like. Please note that you must have complete proof of the university entrance qualification. You can find more information about the university entrance qualification on the anabin website.
- Tabular resume
- Additional documents that are required by the respective course of study exam regulation, such as proof of participation in a self assessment or a pre-internship, etc.
- Copy of your passport
- Proof of language skills. For applications to open admissions subjects you can submit proof of your language skills at the time of enrollment but no later. Applicants to NC-subjects must submit proof of their language skills with their application.
- For individuals with certificates from Vietnam, China, or Mongolia: the certificate from the Academic Evaluation Centre – APS
If your documents are not originally in German or English, you must have them translated by a certified translator and submit a copy of the original and a copy of the certified translation. Please note that in such cases, the copy of the translation or the copy of the original alone is insufficient. We can only process your application when both copies have been submitted.
Applications to the Medicine Course of Study (Model Course of Study) require the additional following documents:
- Placement notification from the Landesprüfungsamt für Medizin, Psychotherapie und Pharmazie regarding the recognized academic performance. This is only necessary if you have already completed some studies in medicine outside of Germany.
- Placement notification from the RWTH Aachen Faculty of Medicine for the model course of study in medicine. This is only required if you are applying for at least the third core semester.
There are a limited number of placements available in the higher core semesters of restricted admission course of study. The number of placements available is calculated by subtracting the number of students who re-registered during the re-enrollment period from the set number of placements available.
If there are still placements available after the re-enrollment deadline, they are allocated to applicants in the corresponding subject and core semesters through a selection process.
Please note Sie: You will only be contacted after the deadline if you have been accepted. We do not send rejection letters. The admissions letter contains the date for enrollment.