Advanced Research Opportunities Program (AROP)
- Target Group:
- Doctoral Candidates
- Direction / Place:
Advanced Research Opportunities Program
- Send Email
Unfortunately, scholarship holders who have already received funding are not eligible for further funding.
Travels Grants and Scholarships for Research Stays at RWTH
Since 2020, RWTH Aachen University has been offering travel grants and scholarships to support the research stays of doctoral candidates and postdocs from strategically relevant international universities or research institutions. Funding is provided by the Excellence Strategy of the German federal and state governments.
The goal of the Advanced Research Opportunities Program (AROP) is to develop and/or strengthen bilateral relations with international partner institutions. AROP offers travel grants and scholarships, as well as the opportunity to participate in German-language courses and intercultural trainings at RWTH.
Moreover, RWTH's Welcome Center for International Researchers will offer advice to scholarship recipients whilst preparing for and throughout the stay in Aachen and support applicants with all questions, academic and otherwise, about their stay.
Who can Apply?
Doctoral candidates and postdocs of strategically relevant international universities and research institutions, which are either partners of RWTH or plan on initiating a partnership with the University.
Support for Incomings
- A travel grant of 1,000 euros (lump sum)
- German language classes and intercultural trainings
- A monthly stipend of 1,800 euros for a period of up to 6 months
Goals of AROP
The goal of the program is to strengthen and intensify bilateral relations between RWTH Aachen University and international universities and research institutions of strategic relevance. Among other purposes, the research stays may be used to prepare joint research projects and publications, initiate joint projects in the field of capacity building, develop teaching projects at the partner university, and organize future visits and student exchange programs.
- Invitation letter from RWTH Aachen University
- Strategic relevance of the home institution according to the internationalization strategy of RWTH Aachen University
- Prospects of building sustainable long-term collaboration or, in the case of already existing relations, to strengthen and extend them to other areas of research
- Applications must be submitted by March 31 or September 30; if arranged beforehand, applications are also accepted at other times
- Application documents must be submitted in English
- Curriculum Vitae with contact details (mailing address, email address)
- List of recent publications
- Statement of purpose with reference to the research project, duration of the stay and expected outcome – see “Goals of AROP” and “Selection Criteria”
- Time schedule with exact days and itinerary
- Invitation letter from RWTH Aachen University: reference to the joint project and duration of the stay, expected outcome (if possible) and future perspectives of the cooperation
Please send all your application documents in a single pdf document via email to email@example.com. We recommend that you get in touch with us before you submit your application so that we can discuss the project beforehand (via telephone, email or in person) – we are happy to assist you!
After Your Application Has Been Submitted
Upon notification of acceptance, you will receive a welcome email with further information to plan your stay at the partner institution.
We are happy to assist you if you have any further questions.
Testimonial From Participating Institutes
The AROP Program's support for Dr. Barreto's stay and funding has proven very productive both for our research and for consolidating collaboration with the University of the Andes. As a result, we have already carried out the first joint research and teaching activities, we have submitted a joint application for funding to the DFG, and another Colombian student is preparing an application to the DAAD for funding for a doctoral stay at RWTH.
Univ.-Prof. Burkhard Corves