Online Summer Semester is an Optional Semester
In April 2020, the NRW Ministry of Culture and Science of the State published a University Ordinance dealing with the impact of the Coronavirus Epidemic on university studies, which also affects the standard period of study. Written exams can be taken from May 11 in compliance with the stipulated hygiene requirements.
News in our Blog
Please read our blog for all the latest coronavirus news and updates.
The Ordinance defines the summer semester 2020, which started in North Rhine-Westphalia as an online semester, as an optional semester.
RWTH, however, largely continues to operate, with a few exceptions (concerning excursions, for example). "We are doing everything possible to avoid extending the period of study for our students," explains Professor Aloys Krieg, RWTH Vice-Rector of Teaching.
In principle, as agreed by the universities in North Rhine-Westphalia, all courses that can be offered digitally will take place online for the entire summer semester.
Based on the regulations mandated by the Federal State of North Rhine-Westphalia and in agreement with the faculties, the Rectorate has decided to issue a supplementary regulation to the general examination regulations. Importantly, oral exams will continue to be held by video conferencing only. For further information, please refer to Vice-Rector Krieg's letters to instructors and students dated April 22, 2020.
A general decree of the NRW Ministry of Labor, Health and Social Affairs allows RWTH to hold written exams since May 11, 2020, as long as hygiene and social distancing requirements are observed.
Updated version: May 12, 2020
Source: Press and Communications
News for Students
RWTH is in close talks with AStA when it comes to issues related to studies.
Information for University Staff
Regulations on working from home and business meetings
- Ordinance on Overcoming the Challenges for Universities Posed by the Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 Epidemic (pdf: 124 kb)
- Information for People in Quarantine (en) (pdf: 367 kb)
- Good Hygiene Practices (pdf: 673 kb)
- Keep Your Distance (pdf: 452 kb)
- Proper Hand Washing (pdf: 664 kb)
- General Infection Protection Measures / Basic Hygiene Rules (pdf: 78 kb)
- Desk Signage: Study Rooms Closed – Vertical Format (pdf: 453 kb)
- Signage: Study Rooms Closed – Horizontal Format (pdf: 453 kb)