South KoreaCopyright: Julia Lee
Active Mediators and Helpers for the German Alma Mater
A nationwide association of South Korean RWTH graduates was founded in Seoul as early as the 1970s. The South Korean alumni regularly get together for the annual general meetings and family celebrations at the end of the year.
With the establishment of a central office for alumni contacts at RWTH Aachen University in 2001, the University and the alumni association in South Korea established close ties with one another on the initiative of the then rector, Professor Burkhard Rauhut. These friendly relations were also reflected in the appointment of Doktor Honoris causa Young-Sup Huh, CEO of Green Cross Corporation, as the first foreign honorary senator of RWTH Aachen University in 2002.
RWTH regular participated in university and industry fairs in South Korea as well as delegation trips, which were actively supported by the South Korean alumni as mediators and multipliers. Finally, with the generous support of alumnus Doctor Josef Kim, an RWTH liaison office was opened in South Korea in October 2019.
The next events
RWTH Anniversary Celebration in Seoul, March 20, 2020 - postponed due to the coronavirus crisis
Find out here which events have taken place so far
- Exhibition of the German economy in South Korea 2001, Seoul
- International university fair in 2002, Seoul
- German Fair (DAAD fair "Gateway to Germany") 2003, Seoul
- International Alumni Homecoming 2004, Aachen
- German Fair (DAAD fair "Gateway to Germany") 2005, Seoul
- Opening of the Mogam student studio 2007, Aachen
- German Fair (DAAD Fair "Gateway to Germany") 2008, Seoul
- Delegation trip to South Korea by Rector Prof. Dr. E. Schmachtenberg, 2012
- Participation ADeKo 2014, Seoul
- Participation ADeKo 2016, Dresden
- Alignment ADeko 2018, Aachen
- Opening of the RWTH liaison office in 2019, Seoul
|Contact for RWTH Alumni in South Korea|
Dr.-Ing. Josef Kim, First Chair of the Alumni Association in South Korea