My university entrance qualification is a General Certificate of Education, or GCE for short, with A and AS Levels. What requirements do my certificates have to meet?
Documents to Upload on RWTHonline as Part of Your Online Application
1. Four General Certificates of Education – Advanced Levels, or A Levels for short, or
2. Three General Certificates of Education – Advanced Levels, or A Levels for short, and one General Certificate of Education – Advanced Subsidiary Level, or AS Level
3. Two General Certificates of Education – Advanced Levels, or A Levels for short, and three General Certificate of Education – Advanced Subsidiary Levels, or AS Levels
Requirements for Recognition as a University Entrance Qualification, in Short HZB
A subject-related HZB applies if the following conditions are fulfilled:
- Four independent, general education examination subjects
- The following must be among these subjects:
- One foreign language and
- Mathematics or a natural sciences subject, i.e. biology, chemistry, physics
- At least three of the four subjects must be passed at A Level. AS Level is sufficient for the fourth subject. Two subjects at AS Level can replace an A Level.
Access to Courses of Study in Humanities, Law, Social Sciences, Economics, and the Arts
- An A Level corresponding to the chosen field of study
- For economics and social sciences: an additional A Level in mathematics
Access to Courses of Study in Natural Sciences
- Two of the following A Levels: mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics
Access to Technical and Mathematical Courses of Study
- An A Level in mathematics and
- One of the following A Levels: biology, chemistry, physics, computer science
Access to Medicine
Three of the following A Levels: mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics
Note: If you have two A Levels and three AS Levels as university entrance qualifications, this will not count as a suitable university entrance qualification for medicine, as the third A Level is missing.