Certificate Courses for Academic LeadersCopyright: © Thilo Vogel
Leaders at RWTH complete mandatory continuing education courses as preparation when they initially assume their leadership role at RWTH.
In their first year of responsibility, doctoral leaders attend the Leading Teams and Working Groups at RWTH Workshop at the Center for Doctoral Studies, CDS for short. Leadership responsibility entails being a subject supervisor for at least two research assistants.
Postdocs participate in the Leading at RWTH Workshop during the first two years of their leadership responsibility. Permanent academic leaders obtain the Leadership Certificate for mid-level academic staff and the RWTH Leadership Certificate for University Instructors for tenure-track professors.
Newly appointed professors learn important leadership information at the Welcome Workshop and deal with conversation skills in the related workshop at the Center for Professional Leadership or CPL for short.
Of course, these offerings are not only open to new leaders but also experienced leaders upon request.
There are two alternative ways to acquire the Leadership Certificate:
1. You can freely select seminars from the list of workshops for postdocs at the CPL:
- Module Leadership – at least four seminar days; participation in the three-day Leadership at RWTH workshop is mandatory
- Module Personal Development and/or Module Research and Innovation Skills – at least three seminar days
- Module Motivation and Commitment – at least two seminar days
- Module “We-Feeling” – at least one seminar day
Register for the Leadership at RWTH Workshop via the event page of the CPL.
To have your certificates issued, please contact Ms. Dagmar Grübler and submit your certificates of participation as PDF documents.
2. You complete the Qualification Course for Leaders in Science, Administration, and Technology. The target group of people in science for this course are tenured employees at the academic mid-level. The qualification course is held via six lots of two-day events with a set group of participants. The course lasts about 15 months. To register, please send an email to Dagmar Grübler during the registration period, which will be announced in advance.
RWTH Leadership Certificate for University Instructors
Appointed leaders can obtain the RWTH Leadership Certificate for University Instructors. This is mandatory for tenure-track professors.
They can choose from two different options to achieve this:
- Welcome Workshop for Newly Appointed professors
- Workshop on Conversation Skills I (and/or Workshop on Conversation Skills II) and
- A free selection of offerings from the CPL program and the Center for Learning and Teaching Services, or CLS, totaling eight seminar days.
To have your certificates issued, please contact Dagmar Grübler and submit your certificates of participation as PDF documents.
2. Participation in the Qualification Course for Leaders (see above).Copyright: © private
I was delighted with the leadership course! The group was a good mix of researchers and administrative staff; the coach was confident, knowledgeable and process-focused; and the collaboration with my colleagues was fun and inspiring. The content and methodical approach help me a lot in my role as a leader. I am already looking forward to the next modules of the course and would like to say thank you for this opportunity to learn and develop!
Dr.-Ing. Bernhard Schmenk, Head of Corporate Development and Communications, ITA, RWTH Aachen University