Online Learning Agreement


With the Online Learning Agreement, you prepare your Erasmus study abroad efficiently and transparently and ensure that your achievements successfully completed abroad are recognized for your studies at RWTH.

Step 1: Collect Information

Before you fill out the Online Learning Agreement, you must discuss the possible recognition of external achievements with your faculty or department. Your faculty or department is responsible for all questions regarding the content of the Online Learning Agreement, such as course selection, curriculum changes, or recognition.

Preparing the Online Learning Agreement and obtaining the necessary signatures takes a lot of time! Please start preliminary arrangements and take care of the Online Learning Agreement at least three months before your Erasmus stay.

Note: The Online Learning Agreement is crucial for the approval of your Erasmus grant. At the latest, two weeks before you start your studies at your host university, the Online Learning Agreement must be completed in full, signed by all parties, and submitted to as a PDF in order for the Erasmus grant to be awarded. You are responsible for submitting it before your stay.

Step 2: Create an Online Learning Agreement

The Online Learning Agreement is completed on the Online Learning Agreement platform. Please read the step-by-step guide thoroughly so you complete it correctly.

Note: If the Online Learning Agreement cannot be used in summer semester 2022 due to technical reasons, please use the PDF version in the download area on the obligations page.



Which Faculty or department am I supposed to put in if I am studying two courses of study?

You should always put in the Faculty or department through which you received the Erasmus study placement.

Who should I name as the Sending Responsible Person and Sending Administrative Contact Person?

Please find the responsible contact person in this table.

Attention: Business administration and engineering students need to refer to this table.

What is a “component?”

A component is a learning experience with a formal structure that has been completed with learning results, credits, and evaluations. This includes courses, modules, seminars, lab work, practical work, preparation/research for a term paper or thesis, mobility window, or elective subjects.

Why are Tables A and B separate?

This is so that it is clear that the courses you take abroad do not have to exactly match the courses that will be replaced at RWTH. The tables are not intended to provide recognition for identical modules, courses, etc, but recognition for comparable learning outcomes. Therefore, for example, the number of ECTS that are awarded abroad (and which only indicate the average workload) may differ upwards or downwards from those awarded at RWTH.

Table A must match the transcript of records you receive from your host university at the end of your stay abroad. Table B should match the letter of recognition as far as possible. You will receive the letter of recognition from your Faculty here once you have submitted the original transcript of records.

What is the minimum number of ECTS credits that must be earned?

The EU commission’s recommendation is for Erasmus students to earn and receive recognition for 30 ECTS credits per semester. RWTH Erasmus Outgoing students have to earn at least 15 ECTS (see Table A) at the partner university per semester abroad (approx. 5 months). The minimum 15 ECTS also include ECTS credits earned through language courses (exception: language courses in your native language) or courses unrelated to your course of study.

What should be entered in Table B if the Erasmus studies take place in the context of a mobility window?

If the curriculum contains a mobility window, it is sufficient to enter “mobility window” as component title in Table B and include the corresponding number of ECTS.


If my stay is two semesters long, am I required to enter the courses for both semesters?

If the course catalog of the host university, at which you will be spending the second semester, isn’t available yet, just enter the courses for the first semester in the Online Learning Agreement. As soon as you know which courses you will be taking the second semester, please enter them into your existing OLA using the "Apply Changes" function (see OLA Changes in the step-by-step guide).

What should I do if my host university has its own learning agreement template and requires me to fill it out and submit it?

In this case, you must complete two learning agreements: the learning agreement from the partner university and the Online Learning Agreement.

What should I do if the Sending Responsible Person or the Receiving Responsible Person have still not signed after several weeks?

First, log into the OLA platform and check the email address you entered for the Sending Responsible Person or the Receiving Responsible Person for errors. If you find an error, you will need to create a new OLA. If you do not find any errors, contact the specific person by email.


What happens if I don’t earn the minimum 15 ECTS required during an Erasmus semester?

If you do not reach the minimum number of ECTS, please contact your Faculty’s or department’s Erasmus Coordinators immediately. Write to them explaining why you were unable to attain the minimum required number of ECTS and ask for an exemption. Attach proof for your case, such as a medical certificate, for example. Exemptions are only granted in exceptional, justified cases.

If you do receive an exemption, your departmental Erasmus coordinator will sign your letter. The signed statement and a scan of the Transcript of Records from the host university must then be emailed to Erasmus Outgoing Student Support.

If you do not receive an exemption, your departmental Erasmus coordinator will tell Erasmus Outgoing Student Support how many months of funding he or she can allocate to the ECTS you have earned. You are then required to pay back the remaining amount of the Erasmus scholarship.

If you did not earn any ECTS at all during your Erasmus study placement, you must pay back the full amount of the scholarship (0 ECTS equals 0 euros).


Who can be contacted in case of technical problems with the Online Learning Agreement Platform?

Please contact the ESCI Service Desk if you experience any technical issues with the Online Learning Agreement platform.


Step 3: Changes in the Online Learning Agreement

If you need to make changes to the Online Learning Agreement after the start of your Erasmus stay, for example, because courses are held at the same time and you cannot take both, these changes must be documented via the Online Learning Agreement platform. Here, too, prior consultation with your faculty or department is necessary. Please use the Step-by-Step Guide for the Online Learning Agreement for Changes to make sure you complete it correctly.
The Online Learning Agreement, which must be completed before the start of your Erasmus studies, must be completed and submitted to Erasmus Outgoing Student Support in order to be able to make any changes at all.

The changes must be signed by all parties and sent to via PDF no later than seven weeks after the start of the Erasmus stay. Obtaining the signatures and submitting the completed document are your responsibility.

Step 4: Recognition

Recognition of study and examination credits earned abroad is crucial to the Erasmus program. On our Recognition of Study Abroad page, you will find information on the topic of recognition.