New Board of Governors at RWTH Aachen University
The NRW Ministry has approved the new members of the RWTH Board of Governors, which are scheduled to assemble for the first time at the end of November.
The new Board of Governors will take office in the upcoming winter semester. In July 2017, the RWTH Senate confirmed the list of ten high-profile individuals from different spheres of society presented by the selection committee. As required by the NRW Higher Education Act, the Ministry of Culture and Science of North Rhine-Westphalia has approved of the list of new members.
The new members of the RWTH Board of Governors are as follows:
- Professor Artemis Alexiadou, Department of English and American Studies, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin & Leibniz-Zentrum Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft, ZAS
- Dr. Bernd Bohr, formerly Managing Director of Robert Bosch GmbH
- Dr. Roland Busch, Chief Technology Officer and Member of the Board of Siemens AG
- Professor Koenraad Debackere, Department of Managerial Economics, Strategy and Innovation (MSI), University of Leuven
- Professor Simone Fulda, Director of the Institute for Experimental Cancer Research in Pediatrics, Goethe University Frankfurt, Member of the German Council of Science and Humanities
- Dr. Robert G. Gossink, Chairman of the Board of RWTH Aachen University Hospital
- Dr. Waltraud Kreutz-Gers, University Chancellor, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
- Professor Ingrid Mertig, Institute of Physics, Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg
- Dipl.-Ing. Christine Peters, doctoral candidate, RWTH Aachen University
- Professor Georg Rosenfeld, Member of the Board of the Fraunhofer Society
In November, the current and the incoming Boards are scheduled to host a joint meeting to conduct a thorough handover between leadership. The term of office of the Board is five years.
The Board of Governors' responsibilities include participation in the election and dismissal of members of the Rector's Office, provision of advice to the Rector's Office and supervision of its management activities, and approval of the draft of the target agreement between the University and the Federal State of NRW and of the Budget Plan. Furthermore, the Board is to provide the University with new impetus and ideas from various areas of research, society, as well as business and industry.