Erasmus+ Mobility for Teaching and Further Training

Key Info

Basic Information

Target Group:
Doctoral Candidates
University Staff
Direction / Place:



Claudia Hanke

Head of Team Europe


+49 241 80 90684



Most people think of student mobility and students, who study abroad at a European university for one or two semesters to improve their language skills, acquire cultural skills, and find friends, when they think of the Erasmus program.

A lesser known component of Erasmus+, however, is for all members of the university and targets staff mobility (ST).

Funds are available for
Teaching Staff Mobility (STaff Assignment) and
Staff Mobility for Further Training (STaff Training)


Questions About Staff Mobility

Who can participate?

All university staff members are eligible to participate. Mobility for Teaching or the Staff Training Assignment (STA) is open to:

  • professors and lecturers with a contract with RWTH
  • unpaid lecturers at RWTH
  • instructors with contracts for services at RWTH
  • academic and research staff at RWTH
  • retired RWTH professors
  • retired instructors (with approval from the dean for the teaching assignment abroad)

Both non-academic and academic university staff are eligible to participate in mobility for further training (STT).

What do STA and STT stand for?

How I submit an application for funding?

What are the criteria for receiving Erasmus+ funding?

Currently, all applications receive funding that are completed correctly and submitted on time. If staff mobility increases in the future and the number of applications exceeds the available funding volume, a selection process will take place. One significant criterion woul be whether this it was an individual's first application. Furthermore, additional selection criteria would be determined together with the Rector's Office and communicated to university staff.

Can I receive funding multiple times?

There are no restrictions to the number of times you can receive funding for STA/STT mobilities. However, the funding depends on the funds available in the respective academic year and the number of total applications. If the number of applications exceeds the funds available, individuals who are requesting funding for the first time will be given preferential consideration.

Can I apply for two successive STA/STT mobilities in the same application?

It is possible to conduct two STA/STT mobilities one right after another. However, you must submit two separate STA/STT applications (mobility agreement). The person completing the assignment, however, only needs to submit a single travel expense report afterwards.

Example: You first complete a one or multi-day STA/STT stay in Rome and then immediately conduct a two-day STA/STT stay at the Uni Perugia. You must submit separate mobility agreements for Rome and Perugia but can submit one travel expense report after both stays.

Which STA mobilities are not funded?

Teaching stays abroad that are already funded by other EU programs cannot receive (additional) funding from Erasmus+.

Which STT mobilities are not funded?

Erasmus+ funding cannot be used to participate in conferences or fairs or for stays abroad for further training purposes that are already funded by other EU programs.

What does the Erasmus funding consist of?

The maximum amount of funding from Erasmus+ is determined by the EU and is based on:

  1. the average cost for stays in the respective country (the European countries are separated into three country groups based on the average cost of living), that is the average cost times the number of STA/STT days requested
  2. the average cost for roundtrip travel. This is calculated using an EU distance calculated and is tiered based on distance.

If the travel office approves additional days in the travel expense report, the Erasmus+ maximum funding increases to up to two days of average costs.

How to receive approval for a business trip?

ZHV staff, as well as academic staff, submit a request to have business trip approved using the RAFAEL process from Division 8.3 (Travel Management and Benefits Office).

Where can I get a trip number?

You are assigned a trip number in RAFAEL (see information from Division 8.3).

What is the Confirmation of Stay Abroad (COSA)?

The stay abroad must be confirmed by the host university and must match the dates in the grant agreement. This is documented by the host university in the confirmation of stay abroad form, which is sent to you with the grant agreement before the mobility abroad. After you have completed the STA/STT mobility, you must submit the COSA. You can submit the original or a scanned copy.

How and when do I receive my grant certificate?

All individuals, who receive Erasmus+ funding for an STA/STT mobility, automatically receive a grant certificate in German and English. As these certificates are issued at a specific time every year, you will not receive the certificate immediately after completing your stay abroad – we ask for your understanding.

What special funding is available?

Additional funds are available for anyone with a disability degree of 50 percent. The application must be submitted two months before your planned stay abroad and is actually sent by the International Office. Please contact Claudia Hanke for more information.