Technical Product Designer
- Secondary School-Leaving Certificate: Fachoberschulreife
- Selection Process: application and interviews
- Aptitude Test: Yes. You must pass the test to continue on to the selection process.
- Length of Training: three and a half years
- Professional Association: Industrie- und Handelskammer Aachen
- Exam: extended final exam (Part 1 during training, Part 2 at the end of training)
- Further Training: Technikerin und Techniker
As a technical product designer, your training qualifies you for work in a drawing office. Your duties include creating traditional technical drawings on a drawing board. This is increasingly supported through help from CAD software on computers. You will complete rough sketches of work pieces, finished drawings with measurements for the mechanical workshops, labeling of surface quality and appropriate fit, complete drawings of assembly plans including standard parts for construction, component lists for the complete drawing with a material selection, technical accompanying documents, drawing proposals, assembly plans and directions, detailed drawings, perspective drawings, and calculations of building components. Technical product designers are the connection between design and work shop in a machine and equipment company. Througout the course of your career, you have the possibility to become a self-employed designer.
- Interest in technical systems and computer work
- Visual and logical thinking skills
- Patience and conscientiousness
Practical training takes place in the respective university institution and the RWTH Aachen Vocational Training Center (BAZ).
Mies-van-der-Rohe-Schule, Berufskolleg für Technik der Stadt Aachen, Neuköllnerstraße 17, 52068 Aachen. Vocational training classes take place, in part, two days a week.
Salary, Job Ticket, and Vacation during Training
1st Training Year: 1,036.82 euros
2nd Training Year: 1,090.96 euros
3rd Training Year: 1,140.61 euros
4th Training Year: 1,209.51 euros
Contributions to capital formation: 13.29 euros
Job Ticket: starting January 1, 2018, 21 euros a month
Christmas Bonus: 95 percent of November salary
Vacation Days: 30 days a year
Brief Information: Technical Product Designer (de)
(pdf: 32 kb)
Here you can find initial information at a glance!